Pigments: A 21st-century Soft Synth
A massively powerful wavetable and virtual analog software synth two decades in the making, Arturia Pigments is a soft synth like no other. Featuring cutting-edge wavetable synthesis, granular synthesis, harmonic synthesis, and Arturia’s meticulous analog modeling, the Pigments soft synth launches a new era for the company. Arturia has spent the past 20 years analyzing and reinventing the most legendary synthesizers ever produced, so the time was ripe for a soft synth with a powerful architecture and lightning-fast workflow that makes crafting modern sounds with complex modulations quick, easy, and fun. While Arturia Pigments may stand on the shoulders of some of the greatest synths of the past, it delivers wholly modern avant-garde sounds, features, and playability. With its incredible sonic prowess and remarkable ease of use, Arturia Pigments is a groundbreaking go-to synth for producers, sound designers, and synth lovers alike.
Related Videos: Pigments 4 Software Synthesizer
Wavetable, analog, granular, and harmonic engines: a quadruple threat
Wavetable synths are used to create many of the cutting-edge sounds you hear in today’s blockbuster movies, television series, and hit records. Granular synthesis is capable of creating otherworldly synth sounds by deconstructing sampled material. Harmonic additive synthesis manipulates partials for next-level sound design. And analog synthesis remains a staple of contemporary music making.
Combining modern wavetable synthesis, granular synthesis, harmonic synthesis, and analog modeling in one powerful, easy-to-use soft synth, Pigments is a synthesis platform that gives you the best of all worlds. Multiple soundbanks let you easily navigate an arsenal of presets and hundreds of wavetables, transcending the limits of genre through inventive and inspiring cross-engine modulation. From bombastic basses to evolving pads to molten leads, this soft synth has you covered.
Arturia Pigments lets you run up to two sound engines — a triple-oscillator virtual-analog engine, a detailed granular synthesis engine, a harmonic synth engine, or a complex wavetable engine with morphing and import — in parallel for impossibly fat sounds with off-the-charts depth, dimensionality, and harmonic richness.
Near-infinite sound-sculpting control
And to shape the sounds you generate from those sound engines, Pigments has twin filters with dozens of continuously variable filter types and continuous series/parallel routing to give you near-infinite sound-sculpting control. Choose from classic filters among Arturia’s V Collection instruments, or take a walk on the wild side and dig in deep with modern filters like Surgeon and Comb. You can even modulate FM filters directly from the engines to evoke unwieldly sonics. However you shape them, the sounds coming from Arturia Pigments will take center stage in your productions.
Incredibly powerful and intuitive
Despite its awesome sonic prowess, Arturia Pigments is a ridiculously easy soft synth to use. At Sweetwater, we’re intimately familiar with the challenge of seizing that flash of inspiration and molding it into sound. It’s the most fundamental — and exciting — part of making music. Pigments streamlines that process with near-limitless patch creation and modulation options at your beck and call in an intuitive user interface that provides visual feedback every step of the way. Throw in cool features such as drag-and-drop Insert and Send routing, and sonic experimentation becomes effortless with Arturia Pigments.
A truckload of tricks up its sleeve
According to Arturia, “While Pigments can sound like other synths, no other synth can sound like Pigments.” We couldn’t agree more here at Sweetwater. Pigments’ ability to scale quantized pitch modulations lets you easily build complex melodic sequences. It offers continuous unison controls that can be modulated with classic and chord modes. Its wavetable oscillator boasts extensive wave-shaping options with unique aliasing controls. And in addition to the expected modulation sources, it has unconventional ones like the Turing and Binary random generators.
Your go-to versatile synth
Arturia Pigments also features a battery of modulators — advanced envelopes, morphing LFOs, randomizers, combinators, and more — that bring sound to life. Also featured is configurable gate/retrig handling for the modulators — great for unusual rhythmic sequences and self-generating patches. Arturia Pigments’ polyrhythmic sequencer has a strong emphasis on randomness but also has scale control to retain musicality. And the soft synth’s stunning studio-grade effects — including wavefolder, overdrive, parametric EQ, and delay — make crafting rich, evolving patches instantaneous and fun with Arturia Pigments.
What’s new in Pigments 4:
- New interface: with added Light Mode and a simplified Play Mode
- Drag-and-drop modulation: makes editing faster and easier, opening new lanes for sound design
- New Filter: the addition of the MS-20 filter expands on the robust capacity of the V Collection’s architecture
- New FX: Shimmer Reverb and Super Unison effects supplement your sound with greater dimensional reach
- Improved Sonics: the Bitcrusher, Jup-8 V Filter, Multi Filter, and Distortion Module have been re-worked to expand your sonic scope
- Expanded templates: factory presets now total 1,400, with additional wavetables, samples, and noise types that inspire and expand the compositional terrain
- More modulation: new LFO shapes and sync modes offer greater variety of opportunities with modulators
- Microtuning: ODDSound MTS-ESP conjures compatibility with microtuning to transcend the limitations of Western tonal structures
- Ring Mod and Pulse Width Phase Transformation: push the Wavetable engine even further than ever
- Phase modulation and partial randomization: greatly increases the depth of multi-engine output with the Harmonic engine
Arturia Pigments 4 Polychromatic Software Synthesizer Features:
- Combines 2 sound engines in parallel in one powerful, easy-to-use soft synth
- Complex wavetable engine with morphing and import
- Virtual analog engine with 3 oscillators per voice and multiple waveforms
- Granular synth engine for mind-mending soundscapes
- Harmonic synth engine enables complex additive synthesis
- Add a sub oscillator and up to 2 noise sample layers for extra depth and sonic color
- Twin filters with dozens of continuously variable filter types and continuous series/parallel routing
- Modulate anything with anything, including MIDI, envelopes, LFOs, random sources, and complex function generators
- Integrated polyrhythmic step sequencer and arpeggiator make it easy to create complex, evolving sequences and arps
- Powerful built-in studio-grade effects, including 18 FX algorithms and a versatile distortion module
- Visual interface with graphical representation of the most important modules
- Graphical editing, source-based or destination-based
- Living, moving waveform to see your sound come alive
- 4 assignable macros to control multiple parameters at once
- Ramp waveform for virtual analog engine
- Enhanced in-app tutorials
- Extensive factory preset library with hundreds of sounds from top artists and sound designers, including Jeremy Savage, Starcadian, Cubic Spline, Mord Fustang, and Jörg Hüttner — plus highlighting of recommended tweakable parameters